Monday, March 1, 2010

Exploration 1

Through my research and interviews I have learned that being a military wife is a way of life. Military wives need to have some very specific qualities enable to endure through the service of her husband. Some of the qualities that have been said numerous times in my project is strength and self reliant. A wife needs to be strong physically, mentally and emotionally. If she doesn’t have all three of these qualities it can and most likely will make the situation harder than it already is. The one interview that I have done is a wife of a husband currently serving in the Idaho National Guard. I could tell by the way she answered the questions that she is very humble, she was not afraid to tell me what the good and the bad things that come with being married to a man in the service. One thing that did surprise me was when I asked her how she stayed positive and happy throughout tough times. Her answer made sense I just never really thought about it, she said that time to herself. She has three kids, and though she knows they come first, she also made it clear that if she doesn’t get time herself it is easy to get lost in the fear, stress, and emotion.

I did find out that I was using the wrong term for the military support group. They don’t call them that any more. Ever since 9/11 the focus of the families is readiness. They are getting them ready for deployment, employment, and just the process of having a spouse on active duty. The title changed to a more positive and realistic one so the families can be educated on what will and might happen. In my observations I have been surprised that one of the classes gives them ways of how to communicate right. But it isn’t just communication with the spouse it is with every one. I never really thought about the media playing such a big deal with military wives. As the instructor made clear that if a wife says the wrong thing, or too much information it has the possibility to ruin a mission and put numerous lives in danger. Knowing how to communicate is key.

I want to find out the different point of views of older women who made the decision with their husband about joining the military. It also interests me on how the family readiness groups have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment